Interview with Kati Marton

This interview was originally published in The CEU Weekly's 35th issue on September 18, 2013. Online edition.

The CEU Weekly interviewed  Kati Marton, Hungarian-born American journalist, author and scholar, and member of CEU’s board of trustees. Kati Marton has combined a career as a reporter and writer with human rights advocacy. She has worked as part of the leadership of renowned human rights organizations, including the International Women’s Health Coalition, Committee to Protect Journalists, Human Rights Watch, and International Rescue Committee. As a reporter she has contributed – among others – to ABC News, The New Yorker, The New Republic, The Washington Post, and Newsweek. She is also an author of eight books.


TCW:  Among your many activities, you are a member of the board of trustees of CEU. What is your idea of the future development of CEU, and the community?
KM:  I think CEU is a treasure, I think that it has an enormous role to play in Hungary’s future, not only in Hungary’s future, but in the region’s. It has now a worldwide reputation as probably the most vibrant international institution of learning in Europe. And for me it is a pleasure  just walking around in this neighborhood and hearing the exciting buzz of students from a hundred different countries obviously really turned on by each others’ company and by the city, and by the professors here, who are fantastic! I wish I could start school all over again.

TCW: Did the fact that both of your parents were committed journalists play a major role in your  choice of profession?
KM: Yes, definitely. I could not imagine a more interesting life than the life that my parents lived. Every day was different, they had very interesting friends, and they were really engaged in the world. And of course it turned out to be a dangerous profession too, so I don’t think I would have taken the chances that they took if I would have had little kids as they did. But that was their choice. The only other thing that appealed to me was to become a diplomat. So I married a diplomat.

TCW: And since when have you considered human rights activism as your vocation?
KM: I started being interested in journalists’ rights. Pretty much as soon as I became a journalist, I was a foreign correspondent for ABC News and I started travelling to countries where journalists didn’t have my rights, including here in Hungary, this was during the Communist times, but also in Africa and elsewhere. I realized how easy it was for us when compared to them, we didn’t fear anything. , I was leaving the next day those countries, but my local colleagues were not. And I knew that my parents had been in that situation where they had to stay and face the music when they wrote pieces about Rákosi –he was the terrible tyrant here in Hungary. So I joined the Committee to Protect Journalists and then I became its head for five years. That kind of work brings you into contact with others working in similar fields, like Human Rights Watch. I was on the board of Human Rights Watch for ten years, than on that of the International Women’s Health Coalition. It’s networking, you meet people and one person leads to another, and pretty soon you are caught up in that world. After a certain time as a reporter, that wasn’t enough, I wanted to do something that was a little bit more altruistic. I wanted to put back. I consider myself a really fortunate person, even though I’ve gone through some big losses obviously, but still I consider myself really lucky. I had some good breaks, and my parents were pretty amazing people, I had some good chances in life, and so I think people like that need to look out for others too. And my kids are that way too, I’m happy to say.

TCW: Coming back to your advocacy of freedom of press: how do you see the recent Hungarian law regarding the media? The European Union, especially Germany was very critical of it. Do you think this is something we should be critical of, and concerned with, or is it an overreaction?
KM: No, it’s not an overreaction. I think there is an attempt to rule back some of the hard earned freedoms of the Hungarian media. And that has no place in a democracy. And first of all it doesn’t even work in the age of the internet, it’s getting really tough on those poor dictators who are trying to control the media. It’s hard with the internet! It’s beneath contempt to try to control the press. This is why we got rid of the Communists, to have a free press. As I sad in my speech, free press is really the only thing that separates a democracy from any other form of government.

TCW: And relating to Communism, you have mentioned that you have been to Hungary between your family’s emigration and the fall of Communism. It must have been very difficult, we imagine?
KM: Yes, the first time was really emotional.  Because it was still in the Communist times and I was still afraid, even though now I was an American reporter, down deep I was still a little girl, whose parents were taken away by this system. So I was quite nervous in those days. But I’m over that now. I have a very normal relationship with Hungary, which is a big part of my identity. I’m really thrilled to be a part of the CEU family, it gives me an institutionalized framework for coming to Hungary, a reason to come to Hungary with a very good purpose. And I love watching this university, it’s very exciting to me, and to have a stake in Hungary’s future is also pretty me. 


TCW: We have one more question regarding what Professor Shattuck mentioned. You were married to very important men, but you have a career on your own. How can you preserve your own place while being next to a successful man?
KM: Well, you have to be pretty determined, because Peter and Richard were very highly profiled big personalities. First of all I always kept my name, Kati Marton, I was never anything else. And which is more important, I always kept my work. I was always working. When being a foreign correspondent didn’t go well with my life after I had two little kids, I started writing. The important thing is to keep working your brain. And to stay engaged, don’t retreat, and also stand up to the big guy. Even when I was the wife of the UN ambassador, and we were having dinners almost every night, I was sleepy a lot, but I was still working on a book always. Writing I find very compatible with being a mother and a wife. But now, I don’t think it’s such a big issue. I hope it isn’t. But it was a big issue in the 80s and 90s. However, in the end they married me because of who I was, not because of whom they imagined I could become. We also have to be pretty fearless in claiming that right and sharing the responsibilities. I think your generation is already doing that.

TCW: And do you feel the difference when you write a journalistic article and when you write history, or they overlap?
KM: They overlap. Even when I write short articles they have a historic component. So I don’t write about daily events, which is how I started out.

TCW: In the end we also would like to ask about your argument that facing the past for a society is essential to be able to build democracy.
KM: I hope I was clear on that.

TCW: Yes. Why do you think it has not happenned in Hungary, although in the last almost quarter of a century there have been many chances for it to come to terms with it’s past. Whose responsibility is it, all of ours?
KM: Yes, I think, it’s everybody’s. You start with leadership, which after all should lead. But I think that there is a real allergy about the past, because it’s so traumatic, so many bad things happened. And what happened to the Jews here is really terrible, especially given that they had such a big role in building this city. And then were so brutally treated. Obviously there are a lot of people with a lot of guilt, bad consciousness. My mother could not talk about what happened to her parents. It was traumatic. Her parents died in Auschwitz and I never knew that until I researched for my book on Wallenberg. It is painful, it is so much easier to talk about the movies or whatever, but it’s a necessary pain. We owe those who went before the debt of memory. But we also owe it to ourselves. We have to be brave about taking them with us. And taking our history with us, that’s how we are.  Sometimes you just have to work your way through really painful stuff. But I think you come out on the other side as a fuller human being. The human experience is pretty amazing. But you cannot just pick and choose just the parts that are cheerful and happy, because loss is part of the human experience. In some form or another it’s part of human life. We have to bravely embrace that. That’s our duty to all who went before; in my case my grandparents, my parents, my husband. They are all here.

TCW: Absolutely. Thank you very much, it was a pleasure to have this interview with you!

Interview by Ágnes Kelemen and Julia Michalsky


Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon

Kaffka Margit: Színek és évek

Simone de Beauvoir: A második nem (A nekem fontos részek jegyzete)

Szabó Magda: Régimódi történet